Re: GRUB splashimage

On Saturday 23 April 2005 04:18 am, Mr Mike wrote:
> I wanted to use a nice splashimage with grub instead of the standard boreing
> ansi colors...  Soooo..  I created an image using info found via google and
> then used grubconf and checked the box enableing the use of a splash image
> and told it what image to use...
>
> When I rebooted, my system halted with a kernel panic and couldn't
> find /dev/console and that the init process was trying to be killed...
> YIKES..  So I booted my tustie rescue floppy, restored my original menu.lst
> file and rebooted without any problems...
>
> I know grub splashimage is used by only a few distros now and that Debian is
> one of them... So why the problem?  I indexed the xpm image to a color palate
> of 14 colors and used a 640x480 image size..  I'm not sure what happened so
> if anyone can give me a clue I'd appreciate it..
>
> TIA..
>  Mike

Partial solution...  Found update-grub and it created a good menu.lst that works w/out f'ing up my system...  but all the images look like crap...  REAL grainie...  like a colored pixel every 100th one..  you can't even tell what the image is supposed to look like..

Images are created according to specs i found for debian..  640x480 14 colors and xpm format then and put into /boot/grub/ ...  UUMMMM....  what the heck is wrong??  I'm sure it's the image but I'm following all the criteria I can find and rebooting OVER AND OVER just to test different image formats isn't a very good option...

Your aid would be greatly appreciated...

Mike..