GRUB splashimage

I wanted to use a nice splashimage with grub instead of the standard boreing
ansi colors...  Soooo..  I created an image using info found via google and
then used grubconf and checked the box enableing the use of a splash image
and told it what image to use...

When I rebooted, my system halted with a kernel panic and couldn't
find /dev/console and that the init process was trying to be killed...
YIKES..  So I booted my tustie rescue floppy, restored my original menu.lst
file and rebooted without any problems...

I know grub splashimage is used by only a few distros now and that Debian is
one of them... So why the problem?  I indexed the xpm image to a color palate
of 14 colors and used a 640x480 image size..  I'm not sure what happened so
if anyone can give me a clue I'd appreciate it..

TIA..
 Mike

.. Now, a little humor compliments of Linux Fortune...

Give a small boy a hammer and he will find that everything he encounters
needs pounding.