Re: Security of Debian Testing

Anthony Simonelli wrote:

I realize that Debian Testing "Sarge" is not supported by the Security Team and that it is the last branch of the Debian to receive updates. Though I am tempted to use it as a production server (Squid & Postfix) because of its cutting edge of software as compared to Woody, I realize that it is not stable and their may be potentially major problems with security and compatibility of packages. As a desktop, I currently run Fedora Core 3 but I was wondering if Debian Testing would be a good idea for a desktop until Sarge becomes the stable branch of Debian? Would it be more secure to run Fedora Core 3 than Debian Testing? Would it be smart to use Debian Testing or Fedora Core 3 for a server? Which is more secure for both functions. I know that no one can officially answer my questions but I would just like people's opinions. I'm still quite a newbie but there are plenty of documents on the web for hardening Linux in general.

Debian Sarge should be released soon and will then
have full secuirty support.
If you want to use Debain now, another option is to use backports:

http://www.backports.org/

combined with "Woody".  Then when your ready go over to pure
"Sarge",  check out backports to see if it meets your needs.
Hopefully we will see a faster release cycle from Debian in the
future, there is work in progress to help this be the case.

And yes I run production servers this way, running 24/7.

--
sig=0xda1e;