upgrading cvs pserver from 1.11p1(stable) to 1.12.9(testing)

hi all,
   i want to upgrade the cvs pserver as in the subject i say to
   perform pam authentification (i've read that in this version it's
   possible without pathing & recompiling).
   Because of i'm fairly new to cvs i don't want to make any
   dissaster in the repository so my question is...
   Is there any problem to perform this upgrade? if i have to make
   a backup of the files i only have to cp all files to a secure path?
   I've read the CHANGES file of the new version but... it doesn't
   make me feel secure about this.

   Thx anyway

Xavi