Re: Security of Debian Testing

On Sunday 23 Jan 2005 09:37, Anthony Simonelli wrote:
> I realize that Debian Testing "Sarge" is not supported by the Security
> Team and that it is the last branch of the Debian to receive updates.

I run servers on both testing and stable and the security updates are the same
on both, as they both come from the same place,

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

> Though I am tempted to use it as a production server (Squid & Postfix)
> because of its cutting edge of software as compared to Woody, I realize
> that it is not stable and their may be potentially major problems with
> security and compatibility of packages.

As far as the stability and compatability of packages of the testing branch
goes I have no complaints; there was a minor glitch some time ago with the
upgrading of gcc, one package got left behind (on friday night) and I could
not compile that particular weekend, the glitch was sorted on the monday. I
can live with that, everyone needs some time off.

Try and get that kind of promptness from proprietary s'ware!
" It's not a bug it's a feature"

I also use Debian testing as my desktop and it is more stable than stable
branch to be honest and certainly has more functionality, not to mention more
drivers for nic, sound and graphics cards. I had some problems with sound
initially (trying to get Skype to work) but those sorted themselves out a few
weeks later in a flurry of updates.

Personally I steer clear of the 2.6.x kernel and am sticking with 2.4.x until
the dust settles, but plenty of others are using it successfully.

> As a desktop, I currently run Fedora Core 3 but I was wondering if
> Debian Testing would be a good idea for a desktop until Sarge becomes
> the stable branch of Debian?  Would it be more secure to run Fedora Core
> 3 than Debian Testing?  Would it be smart to use Debian Testing or
> Fedora Core 3 for a server?  Which is more secure for both functions.

Debian's default install has always been tighter than RH, and Debian has
consistently made security patches available well before they have appeared
on RH's paid-for updates. I doubt that Fedora core gets them as quickly.

A friend of mine recently installed Debian on a brand new Dell Poweredge and
it stumbled on the nic card, he put in a bug report, it was fixed and in the
CVS the next day, now that is 'on the case'.

If what you need is ease of installation, a windowsish frontend and no techie
knowhow try Xandros, it is not expensive and very slick, with Debian under
the bonnet, so you get all the security updates same as stock Debian.

> I know that no one can officially answer my questions but I would just
> like people's opinions.  I'm still quite a newbie but there are plenty
> of documents on the web for hardening Linux in general.

If what you need is a 'hardened' machine, go for one of the BSDs but you will
have to roll up your sleeves and RTM, not for the faint-hearted and very
minimalist.

HTH
--
Bob Hutchinson