Re: How can sarge survive a Windows reinstall?

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 09:31:03AM +0100, elton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe you can try a gentoo live cd, get it from:
>
> http://trumpetti.atm.tut.fi/gentoo/releases/x86/2004.3/livecd/install-x86-minimal-2004.3-r1.iso
>
> boot it.
>
> Mount the root partition, and the boot partition, if you have one:
>
> mkdir /mnt/debian
> mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/debian    <--- replace hda3 with your root part.
> mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/debian/boot   <---- only if you have a separate
> boot part. replace hda1 with the boot part.
>
> now chroot into debian:
>
> 	chroot /mnt/debian

This would be the key command -- so that grub will be able to understand
all file references in their proper context.

> now reinstall grub:
>
> 	grub

Presumably this will now run the grub on my hard disk instead of on
the live CD?  And the following are grub commands:

> 	root (hd0,0) <---- replace this with the partition where your
> 	kernel images reside. This is for hda1 (hd0,1) is for hda2, etc.
> 	setup (hd0)
> 	quit
>
> now remember to add a stanza in /boot/grub/menu.lst for windows.

Since I already have windows now (although my Windows is severely
broken) the existing /boot/grub/menu.lst should suffice.  Or do
the grub commands rewrite this file?

> Something like:
>
> 	title         Windows 95/98/NT/2000
> 	root          (hd0,3) <---- replace with your windows partition
> 	makeactive
> 	chainloader   +1
>
> for examples on the grub disk designation see:
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~lennartb/bootloaders/node7.html
>

> now exit from the chroot and reboot:
> 	exit
> 	reboot
>
> and remove the disk.
>
> Now you should have grub in the mbr.
>
> good luck,
>
> Elton

I have a working system now.  I was trying to find out how to make a boot disk,
and to try it out before Windows clobbers my MBR.  I didn't have the option to
create a boot disk when I installed sarge using an ancient installer
long long ago.  I've tried various things since,  but nothing seems to work.
Somewhere I read that the available standard methods for making a boot
disk don't work with grub.

I'm about to give up on making a boot disk.  Thanks for telling me what to do
when finally do give up.  It'll be useful.

-- hendrik