Re: Shuttle SB52G2 spontaneous reboots

On 24/08/2004, at 9:31 AM, Barclay Osborn wrote:

Same symptons - immediate reboot, no messages - even in the (minimal)
BIOS logging.

I'm pretty convinced that's it's a SW problem, since it was up and
running for weeks with no issues, and I can have it sit in the BIOS
health monitor (or in another OS) indefinitely.

Me too for much the same reasons. The computer shop guy turned off a whole lot of features in BIOS to try to eliminate it. Unfortunately I wasn't there so I don't have the details.

Our original motherboard was Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 (Intel 875 chipset).

He also put the hard disk in another customer's box ("very standard") and it crashed the same way -- also 78 seconds, though I wasn't there. That motherboard was GA-8I865GMVK (Intel 865 chipset).

First I was leaning towards framebuffer modules, now I'm thinking perhaps GigE driver.

I thought it was something to do with LDAP (which is new to me), but I now think not. It goes like this:

1. install off the network installer disk
2. reboot, install minimal system off mirrors
3. configuration changes,
4. reboot to test changes, --> spontaneous reboots.

Unfortunately step 2 is slow enough over ADSL that I didn't get to try all the permutations that I would have liked to. But I did it about three times.... anyway, I've now mirrored most of the Debian i386 archive onto my laptop hard drive :-0, and will be able to do very quick network reinstalls to figure out what's going on.

I'm also fairly certain that this is only something that shows up after the reboot in step four, which suggests something to do with the kernel or a very basic library. (?)

Is putting sarge on a P4 pushing water up hill?

Thanks, and if it is appropriate to take this discussion "off list", please someone let me know.

DJP

But I'm definitely on the short path to insanity as well.

I'd be interested to know if, after getting the machine back, a Debian
install would manifest with the same results, and if not, what mods
were made to the box.

Thanks,
-B