Re: Shuttle SB52G2 spontaneous reboots

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 01:53:19PM +1000, David Philp wrote:
> Our original motherboard was Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 (Intel 875 chipset).
> 1. install off the network installer disk
> 2. reboot, install minimal system off mirrors
> 3. configuration changes,
> 4. reboot to test changes, --> spontaneous reboots.

I'm not sure what my exact revision is (have to email from work until
I get this machine up), but it's an Intel 875GV chipset.  My symptons
are identical to your 4-step enumeration.  I've since disabled nearly
every service and kernel module with no luck.  I've tried disabling
framerbuffer, since I'm using on-board video and thought that might be
the issue, but can't seem to get it to work.  I've tried (editing grub
lines):
   video=vga:off
   video=vesa:off
   vga=normal
   vga=ask, then scan and choosing 80x25
   video=vga16:off

Suggestions?  Or should I just go in and yank the various fb modules from
/usr/lib?

Regarding the woody -> sarge upgrade - does woody boot into framebuffer?
How about after the upgrade?  Or does anyone have reason to believe this
is a red herring?

> I'm also fairly certain that this is only something that shows up after
> the reboot in step four, which suggests something to do with the kernel
> or a very basic library.  (?)

That's what I was thinking.  Only kernel-land should be able to trigger an
immediate reboot, and I was successful for a couple weeks running 2.4.25
and 2.4.26 (vanilla, nothing custom), so I was thinking kernel modules.
Perhaps tonight I'll run through and physically move all the non-critical
modules and do a binary search until I find the offender.  But, I don't
remember installing any new modules prior to the last reboot, so I may
just be way off base here.  :)

Keep me apprised, I'll do the same.

-B