Re: testing currently unusable ?

Björn Stenberg <bjorn@haxx.se> writes:

> This is a flawed argument. If debian is only useful for people who can
> either 1) run unstable, or 2) backport all applications they need,
> then we fail our social contract.

Sorry, maybe i said that, because i don't like the thought of people,
who aren't able to compile simply programs, should administrate their
computer-system (especially not testing or even unstable). They should
ask somebody to do that for them or teach them.

> Just because you and I may be comfortable running unstable or mixed
> enviroments does not mean this is not a problem for a large number of
> users.
>
>> I find it a bit strange (not only of you, as i hear of seomtehing
>> like that every second or third day) to install testing or even
>> unstable to not experienced linux or debian users....

BTW: My system is complete stable except two packages of Bunk and a
self-compiled Emacs...

> Then what what should they do? Debian currently has nothing to offer
> non-developers who want to run linux on their desktop. Stable is so
> out of date as to be virtually useless for desktop use.
>
> The fact that many people find themselves forced to run debian against
> recommended practice is a clear symptom of a system error. Fixing the
> symptom (telling users to run stable and backport applications
> themselves) does not fix the flaw.

That don't match my experiences ... stable is very accurate for most of
the users outside. But if you want special software then you have to
ask someone ... what are our alternatives? Put stable in a trashbin and
telling every one to use testing? I agree bringing out new stables more
often would be great, but that would mean more work, not well tested
applications. After all debian is just a hobby for most of the people

Mario

--
One Editor to rule them all.  One Editor to find them,
One Editor to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

(do ((a 1 b) (b 1 (+ a b))) (nil a) (print a))