Re: Upgrading from Woody to Sarge

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 12:46:49PM +0300, Zygimantas Berucka wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 10:05:59AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Why? There should be no reason to reboot when upgrading a Debian system,
> > unless you upgrade the kernel. libc6's postinst even restarts init for
> > you.
>
> Oh, I thought libraries reloads completely only after reboot.

You do have to restart all processes with the old libraries loaded if
you want to make absolutely sure (although I don't think it's usually
terribly important), and a reboot is certainly one sure way to do that;
dropping to single-user mode and then going back to runlevel 2 would be
sufficient, though.

The maximum paranoia I ever bother with here is to restart services, log
out, and log back in. Usually I don't do anything at all. :)

Cheers,