Re: Debian installer test report

> > * Partition hard drives: Automatic partitioning didn't work as expected.
> >   It didn't ask which hard disk to use (or both), also, it didn't ask
> >   for confirmation to write the partition table or start making the
> >   file-systems. For me this is more than unsafe, it is destructive. So,
> >   I think that at least you need to put a really _big_ warning.
> >   I didn't continue the installation because I was doing it in my every
> >   day use computer, so, as soon as I realice what was happening I press
> >   the reset button in order to minimice the damage.
>
> You mean the debconf template autopartkit/confirm that says
> """
> Are you sure you want to automatically partition the disk ?
>  This will destroy the partition table on all disks in the machine.
>  REPEAT: THIS WILL WIPE CLEAN ALL HARD DISKS IN THE MACHINE!
>  If you have important data that are not backed up, you may want to
>  stop now in order to do a backup. In that case, you'll have to
>  restart the installation later.
> """

Yes, thats fine.

> and is asked with priority "high" when autopartkit is started? I don't
> know what version of autopartkit you got, but if the image is recent,
> this really should have been shown. What debconf priority did you
> select?

I might selected "critical" in a mistake (I knew what this priorities
mean). However, I think this should be displayed whichever the selection
was, if this is not critical, what is critical?

>  If you selected "critical", I'm in awe of your confidence in us
> to produce an alpha version installer that doesn't break your every day
> computer!

Yes, I'm confident enough in Debian developers, and I know I can recover
the system in case things go wrong (I never thought it can go so wrong),
I'm lucky and the system is healthy again :).

I've done a second installation disconnecting the first HD, I Think it's
more interesting that the first one:
Base System Installation Checklist:

Initial boot worked:    [O]
Configure network HW:   [E]
Config network:         [O]
Detect CD:              [O]
Load installer modules: [O]
Detect hard drives:     [O]
Partition hard drives:  [E]
Create file systems:    [O]
Mount partitions:       [E]
Install base system:    [E]
Install boot loader:    [O]
Reboot:                 [O]
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

* pump fails:
pump: error while loading shared libraries:
	libopt.so.0: cannot open shared object file:
	No such file or directory.

* Network HW: I have to load 8139too by hand
* Partition HD:
fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Disk /dev/hdb: 3228 MB, 3228696576 bytes
128 heads, 63 sectors/track, 782 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 = 4128768 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *         1       406   1636960+  83  Linux
/dev/hdb2           407       782   1516032    5  Extended
/dev/hdb5           407       782   1516000+  82  Linux swap

This is what autopartkit have done, for me is suboptimal, ¿why a 1.4GiB
in an HD of 3GiB and 512MiB of RAM? Apart from that partitioning is
correct.

* Mount partitions:
Can't activate swap space. Error:
Partconf: Activating swap on /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target/lun0/part5
swapon: /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target/lun0/part5: Device or resource busy

swap works well after reboot.

* Install base system:

Error:
P: 0 100 Downloading Release file
I: Retrieving http:///debian/dist/sarge/Release
E: Failed getting file http:///debian/dist/sarge/Release
Install the base system into /target/ failed
Check /target/var/log/debootstrap.log and
/target/var/log/debootstrap.err.log

But they are empty.

I've changed the mirror to ftp://ftp.rediris.es and I get
P: xx xx Downloading foo
I: Retrieving ftp://....foo....
W: Retrieving failed download of ftp://....foo....
W: Retrieving failed download of ftp://....foo....
I: Validating /target/var/cache/apt/archives/.....foo....

for every downloaded file, but at the end the file is downloaded.

The rest of the installation was smooth.