Re: Debian installer test report

ons 2003-07-09 klockan 14.44 skrev Ruben Porras:
> > and is asked with priority "high" when autopartkit is started? I don't
> > know what version of autopartkit you got, but if the image is recent,
> > this really should have been shown. What debconf priority did you
> > select?
>
> I might selected "critical" in a mistake (I knew what this priorities
> mean). However, I think this should be displayed whichever the selection
> was, if this is not critical, what is critical?

Then file a bug on autopartkit. :)

> >  If you selected "critical", I'm in awe of your confidence in us
> > to produce an alpha version installer that doesn't break your every day
> > computer!
> >
> Yes, I'm confident enough in Debian developers, and I know I can recover
> the system in case things go wrong (I never thought it can go so wrong),
> I'm lucky and the system is healthy again :).

I was more referring to the alpha version than your confidence in Debian
developers per se. Myself, I'd be scared to death trying an alpha
version installer on a computer without physically moving the valuable
hard drive to another room, or something. :­)

> * pump fails:
> pump: error while loading shared libraries:
> 	libopt.so.0: cannot open shared object file:
> 	No such file or directory.

Gah! I'll look into this.

> * Partition HD:
> fdisk -l /dev/hdb
>
> Disk /dev/hdb: 3228 MB, 3228696576 bytes
> 128 heads, 63 sectors/track, 782 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 = 4128768 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdb1   *         1       406   1636960+  83  Linux
> /dev/hdb2           407       782   1516032    5  Extended
> /dev/hdb5           407       782   1516000+  82  Linux swap
>
> This is what autopartkit have done, for me is suboptimal, ¿why a 1.4GiB
> in an HD of 3GiB and 512MiB of RAM? Apart from that partitioning is
> correct.

I don't understand how this is an "Error". I mean, it worked. If you're
not happy with what it *did*, file a bug on autopartkit, but as far as
the installer goes, this "worked". :)

> * Mount partitions:
> Can't activate swap space. Error:
> Partconf: Activating swap on /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target/lun0/part5
> swapon: /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target/lun0/part5: Device or resource busy

Eh. Did you hop into partconf too? I thought autopartkit created file
systems and mounted the partitions it created?

> * Install base system:
>
> Error:
> P: 0 100 Downloading Release file
> I: Retrieving http:///debian/dist/sarge/Release
> E: Failed getting file http:///debian/dist/sarge/Release
> Install the base system into /target/ failed
> Check /target/var/log/debootstrap.log and
> /target/var/log/debootstrap.err.log

I've seen this before, but I don't know quite why. Was this the business
card CD, or the netinst CD? The netinst CD should be able to install
base from the CD, but I guess that depending on how well the network
config works, the business card CD can get a bit confused.

> But they are empty.

Yes, debootstrap supposedly creates those files, we just refer to them
and hope they contain something... :-/

/Martin
--
Martin Sjögren