Re: debian installer test report

tis 2003-07-08 klockan 13.36 skrev Patrik Hagglund:
> Well, excuse me for being frank.

I don't mind you being frank, but I think this is the wrong forum for
talking about a different installer. A better way would be to send a
mail to debian-boot, saying "I've got this idea for an installer, I've
started working on it, here's some info"

> I think that the main problem with menus is that you easily get
> completely lost when something goes wrong, and I got the
> impression that debian-installer is in a state where things can go
> wrong (both because of errors in the debian-installer code and
> user errors). Yes, there is a shell prompt, but you don't know how
> to use it unless you know how debian-installer works under the
> hood.

Of course it can go wrong, it's not even beta yet. However, doing
*something else* will not improve the status of d-i! The shell prompt
has nothing to do with d-i. In my opinion you cannot install "with d-i"
on a shell prompt, because everything is done with debconf. E.g., we
store data in the debconf database. You can, of course, install a system
using only the shell, because the commands are available, but it has
nothing to do with d-i.

> Excuse me for being frank again, but I had been more impressed if
> I had been able to say: "Oh, it works. You only need to create a
> user interface." But maybe that's just me, and maybe a user
> interface is more interconnected with the underlying mechanisms
> than I think.

Yes, they are closely connected, there's a lot of stuff that requires
asking questions of the user.

/Martin
--
Martin Sjögren