debian installer test report

INSTALL REPORT

Debian-installer-version: 2003-07-06 http://people.debian.org/~tfheen/d-i/images/daily/net-1440.img
uname -a:
Date: 2003-07-07 9.00 UTC
Method: I loaded the net-1440 image on a floppy and booted.

Machine: Compaq Presario 700
Processor: AMD
Memory:
Root Device: IDE
Root Size/partition table:
Output of lspci:

Base System Installation Checklist:

Initial boot worked:    [O]
Configure network HW:   [E]
Config network:         [O]
Detect CD:              [ ]
Load installer modules: [E]
Detect hard drives:     [ ]
Partition hard drives:  [ ]
Create file systems:    [ ]
Mount partitions:       [ ]
Install base system:    [ ]
Install boot loader:    [ ]
Reboot:                 [ ]
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Comments/Problems:

The hw-dectection (discover?) suggested rtl8139 instead of 8139too
(perhaps discover-data needs an update). (Why aren't these modules
compiled into the kernel?)

When I came to "Load installer modules" I got:

wget: 404 Not Found
Segmentation fault

General comment: I don't like menus (besides the fact that they
are too large to fit on my screen). Why not provide the user with
a shell prompt and a written user guide instead? Think of an
operating system (or a sequence of more powerful systems)
speficically tailored to bootstrap (the installation of) Debian
(from a floppy/CD). When you consider time is due, you can create
a GUI wizard that automate things as much as possible (perhaps
specific for i386 to keep it simple) as an alternative user
interface.