Re: debian installer test report

mån 2003-07-07 klockan 11.59 skrev Patrik Hagglund:
> INSTALL REPORT
>
> Debian-installer-version: 2003-07-06
> http://people.debian.org/~tfheen/d-i/images/daily/net-1440.img

If you look carefully, you'll see that the actual date of the
net-1440.img is 04-Mar-2003. The net floppy has been broken for a long
time. It looks like the whole nightly build is broken, due to Makefile
changes... I'm cc:ing this to Tollef, can you fix this?

> General comment: I don't like menus (besides the fact that they
> are too large to fit on my screen). Why not provide the user with
> a shell prompt and a written user guide instead? Think of an
> operating system (or a sequence of more powerful systems)
> speficically tailored to bootstrap (the installation of) Debian
> (from a floppy/CD). When you consider time is due, you can create
> a GUI wizard that automate things as much as possible (perhaps
> specific for i386 to keep it simple) as an alternative user
> interface.

Thank you. After working on debian-installer for about a year (others
have worked on it longer than that), this is precicely what I wanted to
hear. "Hey, why don't you scrap all that stuff you've been doing and do
<radically different thing> instead?" Come on. Do you really think that
a majority of our userbase (and prospective userbase) prefers a shell
prompt over a menu?

Of course, that said, you are more than welcome to write such a manual.
Heck, I'd even read it.

/Martin
--
Martin Sjögren