Syslog and /var/log/messages rotating issue

Hi,
<disclaimer>This is not a debian-testing issue, more like a plain debian
issue, but debian-testing is the only list im subscribed
to.</disclaimer>
I set up iptables on a P166 with a 2 gb HD to do NAT routing for my LAN.
Bunch of undesirable stuff has a target of "deny and log". All the stuff
being "logged" was also being printed on the active tty, besides getting
written to /var/log/messages. I've edited the init.d script for syslog
adding a "-c 2" parameter to the command that starts syslog. Now i'm not
getting any more of those nasty messages, but they still go to
/var/log/messages.
I hadn't figured it out until now, but my current /var/log/messages is
250 MB, and considering my 2 GB HD, thats a heck of a lot. I've also
seen that there are some messages.1.gz and the like stuff in /var/log.
So, i checked /etc/logrotate.d but I didn't find anything related to
syslog. Then i found that syslog rotating is done via cron jobs on
/etc/cron.daily and weekly. Now there are two weird things:
1) I don't know which one of the daily or weekly one is being used, and
it seems like both are being run. I need to rotate my logs much faster
since this is a LOT of space to me.
2) I honestly dont see why that script would rotate /var/log/messages!
I've seen it does "savelog bla bla `syslogd-listfiles`". That command
doesnt return /var/log/messages!
So finally, my question is, how can i rotate my /var/log/messages
faster? I know i could set up a logrotate config but the cron script
speciffcally say that i shouldn't delete that file because it will get
replaced on upgrades or whatever.
Thanks,

--
Gonzalo Sainz-Trápaga (GomoX)
GnuPG Fingerprint: A0AF 3BBF EB93 7EFE 6628  C5A5 F073 9442 6DE4 A497