Re: Syslog and /var/log/messages rotating issue

On Thursday 12 June 2003 05:33, Gonzalo Sainz-Trapaga wrote:
> 1) I don't know which one of the daily or weekly one is being used, and
> it seems like both are being run. I need to rotate my logs much faster
> since this is a LOT of space to me.

They are both being run. It's the weekly one that affects /var/log/messages.

> 2) I honestly dont see why that script would rotate /var/log/messages!
> I've seen it does "savelog bla bla `syslogd-listfiles`". That command
> doesnt return /var/log/messages!

Try "syslogd-listfiles --weekly".

> So finally, my question is, how can i rotate my /var/log/messages
> faster? I know i could set up a logrotate config but the cron script
> speciffcally say that i shouldn't delete that file because it will get
> replaced on upgrades or whatever.
> Thanks,

This is one of my criticisms of the debian system at present : the log
rotation setup appears to be halfway being converted from an old "savelog"
system, to the "logrotate" system. Why is it still half and half? This was
(and still is) very confusing, particular when coming from other distibutions
(redhat & mandrake being my previous experiences, and still working with
redhat to a degree in my workplace).

Anyway : the solution/workaround would be to hash out all the lines in the
daily and weekly sysklogd cron scripts, and then set up appropriate entries
under logrotate.d for the log files listed by "syslogd-listfiles" and
"syslogd-listfiles --weekly".

GPG: http://n12turbo.com/tarragon/public.key