Stupid LaTex question?

Hello,

I have a problem with the installation of LaTex on my Woody system,
hoping someone can point me to the right place.

Background: Installed Potato 2.2r5 from CD's, then did a net upgrade
to Woody

Problem: LaTex doesn't have the ams packages, and, though I installed
them from AMS, still doesn't work, it looks like my base LaTex install
may be hosed.

Questions:

 -I look at both Potato and Woody package lists from the Debian
  webpage, but neither LaTex, nor Tex are listed, but a bunch of packages that
  require LaTex *are* there. So how did LaTex get on my system in the
  first place? Clearly LaTex must come in one of the packages, but I
  can't figure out which one.

 -How can I get rid of it ( besides using find and rm by hand), and
  re-install it?

 -I'd be happy to start and install LaTex from scratch getting the
  tarball from Gnu, and installing the AMS packages from scratch from
  AMS. However, it appears that the already installed LaTex is in a
  non-standard location, and I am concerned that I won't get the old
  LaTex removed properly first.

 - Anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Dan