Re: Stupid LaTex question?

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 13:06, Daniel C. Simkins Jr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with the installation of LaTex on my Woody system,
> hoping someone can point me to the right place.
>
> Background: Installed Potato 2.2r5 from CD's, then did a net upgrade
> to Woody
>
> Problem: LaTex doesn't have the ams packages, and, though I installed
> them from AMS, still doesn't work, it looks like my base LaTex install
> may be hosed.
>
> Questions:
>
>  -I look at both Potato and Woody package lists from the Debian
>   webpage, but neither LaTex, nor Tex are listed, but a bunch of packages that
>   require LaTex *are* there. So how did LaTex get on my system in the
>   first place? Clearly LaTex must come in one of the packages, but I
>   can't figure out which one.
>
>  -How can I get rid of it ( besides using find and rm by hand), and
>   re-install it?
>
>  -I'd be happy to start and install LaTex from scratch getting the
>   tarball from Gnu, and installing the AMS packages from scratch from
>   AMS. However, it appears that the already installed LaTex is in a
>   non-standard location, and I am concerned that I won't get the old
>   LaTex removed properly first.
>
>  - Anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

It's been a couple of years since I used (La)TeX, but everything should
be in the tetex packages: tetex-base, tetex-bin, tetex-extra, and
possibly tetex-doc.  You can remove these packages and install by hand
if you wish, or if (as I suspect) you are missing one or more of these
packages, you can install the missing ones to get the missing
functionality.  I thought the AMS packages were included by default in
the tetex-* packages, but I may be mistaken.

HTH,
--
Stephen Ryan                                        Debian GNU/Linux
Technology Coordinator