Re: Stupid LaTex question?

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 10:06:42AM -0700, Daniel C. Simkins Jr. wrote:

> Problem: LaTex doesn't have the ams packages, and, though I installed
> them from AMS, still doesn't work, it looks like my base LaTex install
> may be hosed.

There are several ams packages in tetex-extra.

> Questions:
>
>  -I look at both Potato and Woody package lists from the Debian
>  webpage, but neither LaTex, nor Tex are listed, but a bunch of
>  packages that require LaTex *are* there. So how did LaTex get on my
>  system in the first place? Clearly LaTex must come in one of the
>  packages, but I can't figure out which one.

The tetex-packages.  Using "apt-cache search latex | less" will show
you many packages related tot latex.  Use 'q' to quit less.

>  -How can I get rid of it ( besides using find and rm by hand), and
>   re-install it?

"apt-get remove <package>" to remove and
"apt-get install <package>"  to install and
"apt-get install --reinstall <package>" to reinstall.

>  -I'd be happy to start and install LaTex from scratch getting the
>   tarball from Gnu, and installing the AMS packages from scratch from
>   AMS. However, it appears that the already installed LaTex is in a
>   non-standard location, and I am concerned that I won't get the old
>   LaTex removed properly first.

It should not be necessary to install the tarball's. If you have
installed the Debian packages and still need something else, install
it in /usr/local/, make sure your /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf includes a path
reference to /usr/local/lib/texmf and run texhash after installing the
extra package.

Don't install or delete files by hand anywhere else than in your home
directory or /usr/local unless you know what you are doing.  Leave the
rest to Debian's package manager.  Learn to use apt and your
appreciation of Debian and the available Debian resources will grow
rapidly.

Regards.
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye
      do, do all to the glory of God."
                                  I Corinthians 10:31