testing potato cycle 3: good stuff and bad stuff

Part 1: Good stuff

I have two machines running Debian: one at work (with high speed access
to a full mirror of Debian), and one at home (behind a dialup line.

I decided to upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 at frozen, because this is the time of
the year when I nominaly have some breathing space at work, and I expect
the ammount of work to be done in september would prevent me from upgrading
when
potato officialy became stable.

I first upgraded my office machine by following exactly the instructions
in release notes. That went mostly without problems: while I had to restart
apt-get --dist-upgrade a few times, there were no major problems.
Being able to ftp updates from a local mirror at 500+ KB/s was realy nice.

The only weirdness was fvwm2 (which decided I had old setup files - after
a few rounds of renaming the .fvwm directory to different names I finaly
tamed that.

I rebooted on principle, because I would rather face eventual problems right
away than a few months from now, when I've forgotten what I've changed.
I logged in, then tried to open an xterm with ssh to root on localhost.
To make a long story short, root would not accept my password.
Fortunately, I had sudo enabled for my account, so I was able to do
sudo bash; passwd root
That enabled my password, and I was able to log in normaly (so it wasn't
ssh' fault). That was yesterday. This morning I tried again, and my password
was refused again. As far as I could see, the coded version of my password had
not changed, so it _feels_ like the root had some kind of password expiration
set.

Other than that, I realy like potato - it feel better somehow than slink did.
I'd like to thank all the developers who sweated over it.

Best regards,
           Matija

--
"My name is Not Important. Not to friends.
    But you can call me mr. Important"  - Not J. Important