Re: Problem: libc6 package in frozen damaged?

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 09:09:22AM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> I was able to get around this, but I DO NOT recommend that anyone use
> my method!!  If you do, don't tell me about how screwed up your system
> got.

 It worked fine for me, on a fresh install of slink (2.1r4 CDs) upgrading to
woody.  Thank you very much for a solution to this problem! :)

> I created a file "/usr/bin/readlink" with the following contents:
>
>   #! /bin/sh
>   true
>
>   dpkg --force-depends -i libc6_2.1.3-4_i386.deb
>   apt-get -f install
>
> Luckily, everything still worked, and I was able to proceed to
> `apt-get upgrade', etc.

 apt-get dist-upgrade had been dieing on me with the pre-depend error
message.  BTW, timezones and stuff didn't even break when I did this.  I'm
very impressed by the robustness of the package system at recovering from my
attempts to coerce it to proceed ;-)

 One reason this might have worked so well for me was that the slink system
had very few packages installed at the time, so there wasn't a lot to break.
(except apt, which survived :)

 I suppose the solution to this problem is to find a way to not use
readlink, so libc6 doesn't need to depend on a version of debianutils not
available in slink, or else the slink debian utils needs to have readlink
added so the libc6 pre-inst can use it.  (I really don't know debian very
well yet, so this might not make sense... sorry.)  I don't know if
feature-add upgrades to slink are kosher, but it seems to me that it would
be a good idea to make it so that one can upgrade from slink by apt-get
upgrade'ing slink to the latest version of all slink things, then apt-get
dist-upgrade after changing sources.list.  The current situation is not
good, because I imagine a lot of people have a slink CD, and use it to
install systems that will be upgraded to potato or woody.  hmm.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
DUPS Secretary ; http://is2.dal.ca/~dups/