Re: Problem: libc6 package in frozen damaged?

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 01:49:10PM +0000, Arrigo Triulzi wrote:
> sharkey@ale.physics.sunysb.edu scripsit:
> |libc 2.1.3-4 predepends on debianutils (>= 1.13.1).  What version of
> |debianutils is installed?
>
> I had to install those by hand, at least I attempted to:
>
> ii  debhelper       1.1.24         helper programs for debian/rules
> ii  debianutils     1.13.2         Miscellaneous utilities specific to
>
> I had to do it with dpkg though.

I solved this the other way ... I installed libc6 first, then upgraded
debianutils.  AFAICT libc6 predepends on debianutils in order to use
"readlink", it does that to preserve timezones info apparently.

I've appended my original email to debian-user.

--
Nathan Norman                                       Network Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7                       "Eschew Obfuscation"

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 11:37:13AM -0700, john s anderson wrote:
[ snip ]
> However, I'd like to update the installation to at least frozen, and
> probably to unstable -- and that's where the problem comes in. After doing
> the base install, I add the frozen line to sources.list, do `apt-get
> update` -- all of which works as expected.
>
> Any attempt to install pretty much anything after that won't work, because
> of some problem between debianutils and libc6. It looks to me like they're
>  mutually pre-dependent, or something. Here's the error output from
> `apt-get install libc6`:
>
> <output>
> penguin:~# apt-get install libc6
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   g++ libstdc++2.10 cpp gcc debianutils libc6-dev libstdc++2.10-dev
> binutils
>   ldso
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   timezones libstdc++2.9-dev egcc
>   libstdc++2.10 libstdc++2.10-dev
> 8 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 3 to remove and 582 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B/7390kB of archives. After unpacking 9989kB will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> E: Internal Error, Couldn't configure a pre-depend
> </output>

I was able to get around this, but I DO NOT recommend that anyone use
my method!!  If you do, don't tell me about how screwed up your system
got.

Ok, it appears that libc6 predepends on a version of debianutils that
provides "readlink".  debianutils predepends on a version of libc6 >=
2.1 ... catch-22.  However, a *brief* glance at the libc6 pre-inst
indicates that readlink is being used to preserve time zone
configuration info.

I decided that breaking time zones was not a big deal.  Of course,
this particular machine is not mission critical, so I must stress
again that this worked for me, it probably won't work for you.  if it
does, cool.  If not, you've been warned twice :)

I created a file "/usr/bin/readlink" with the following contents:

  #! /bin/sh
  true

I then installed libc6 using a --force-depends (this is your third
warning!  This is not a good idea!)  I found the libc6 deb in
"/var/cache/apt/archives", so I cd over there and type

  dpkg --force-depends -i libc6_2.1.3-4_i386.deb

Directly afterwards I ran apt-get:

  apt-get -f install

Luckily, everything still worked, and I was able to proceed to
`apt-get upgrade', etc.

I'm fairly insane so the above is FYI :)

Luck,

--
Nathan Norman                    Network Magician, Eclectic Engineer