Re: Latest install report

>> "MEM" == Marcelo E Magallon <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr> writes:

>> xdm was installed without asking me if I wanted to boot with it.

MEM> that's how it works now.  If you don't want it, don't install it.
MEM> I don't think it's wise to install that package in most
MEM> configurations.

You hardly have a chance. One of the X packages suggests xdm. And you
know how persistant dselect is about suggests :-(

What I fear is, that (new)users install X (and xdm, like dselect
suggests). Then don't finish X configuration, or misconfigure X. Then
they give up for the day. Next time they start Debian, they get the
blinking screen syndrom, when xdm tries to start the X server ad
infinitum.

Then we will have a hard time telling them how to disable xdm in
singleuser mode.

Policy says, that a package should be functional after installation. I
don't know if this is wise for xdm. Maybe it should come disabled and
print a message how to enable in in postinst.

Ciao,
	Martin