Re: dselect/dpkg

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 sharkey@ale.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:

> > > Cruft doesn't really do what you want, but it might be a good starting point,
> > > rather than working completely from scratch.  Talk to the author and maybe
> > > the two of you can coordinate this effort.
> >
> > Hmmmm...I don't know if my skills are quite THAT good ;)
>
> You need a little healthy arrogance to be a decent programmer.  Without some
> self-confidence, you'll never get anything done.  The knowledge that you
> don't know how to do what you want will stop you.  At some level, you
> just have to jump into the fray and do it anyway.
>You learn as you go along.

Oh I know that method bro'! <rofl>

Well, I am arrogant about my knowledge of computers/unix (relative to
Swhinedows (l)users). I taught myself (my)sql yesterday.  I don't know
perl, and C would've taken me a week to write an interface to the database
(because I am a rookie with C), and I'm not really interested in a web
based interface, so I just wrote a shell script to take care
of database management - in one night.  But I'm still not sure that
qualifies me as a programmer yet. ;)

> > I do see a need for this kind of
> > script though - just switching servers (ex. ftp.debian.org
> > ftp1.us.debian.org) can wreak  havoc on dselect's/apt's perception of
> > what's installed
>
> Well, now this is a problem.  I switch servers all the time, and I've never
> had *any* problems with corruption of the package database.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this?

I didn't mean to infer that the installed base was _corrupted_ by
switching servers - the problem I would have on occasion was version
mismatches which would result in unnessacary up/downgrades (incremental).
Thinking it out this is probably more a function of out of sync ftp
mirrors.  If those mirrors were in sync then there was a problem.

Actually the sites in question were ftp.debian.org/ftp.fuller.debian.org
(that last one might not be a completely accurate address - could be edu -
fullerton college mirror of debian dist anyway).

I think I'm gonna bow out here - I may be causing more problems than I'm
solving.  Pointers to a deetailed outline of how d{pkg,slect}/apt operate
would be greatly appreciated though.  In the meantime I'll read EVERYTHING
in the /usr/doc/(deb related) hierarchy for once.  Thanks.

Roland