Re: testing group -- please test the documentation

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999 13:28:00 -0700 (MST), Bruce Sass <bsass@ecn.ab.ca> said:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Ron wrote:
>> Hi All, consider this purely FYA, if not simply gonzo - I'll defend
>> no claim to it being a valid generalisation ;-) but my friends and
>> I had a little chuckle about this claim in the hamm distribution.
>> Mainly because it was our own experience that a floppy install (
>> and large doses of ftp ) was in fact the most reliable and painless
>> way to successfully install hamm, at least on 'old' hardware (
>> ie. 486's and non-atapi cdroms ), despite claims of just the
>> opposite in the install docs.. ;-)

> I tend to agree.

I don't.  Tons of people have problems with the

> The only time I have had to re-download floppy images was with bo, I
> later realized that the floppies were OK, I was the one screwing
> things up.

> Perhaps the `floppies are the most unreliable media...'  (not that I
> disagree), should be toned down so that it is a little less scary.

Oh, I dunno.  The install manual of hamm is in fact strictly
base-from-floppies centric.  In some architechitectures (i.e., mac and
amiga i think) the kernel floppy driver doesn't even work.  On most
m68k architectures, using a platform-specific application to boot and
installing base from a local filesystem (usually affs or hfs) is the
recommended method.

Floppies are in fact the most unreliable media.

The Install Manual doesn't even talk about (although I'm changing
that) installing the rest of the distributions.  But you can't
download via ftp the base system during the install process, so
documenting that impossible alternative seems not likely or possible.

> Maybe something along the lines of... `In those few cases where the
> distribution media was found to be the cause of an installation
> failure, redownloading [oh ya, good word] onto a fresh diskette
> solved the problem'.

If you read the Install Manual, that advice is already there.