Re: Do slink boot floppies work?

On Sat, Nov 28, 1998 at 10:50:14PM -0500, Brandon Mitchell wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Marc Singer wrote:
>
> > I grabbed the 386 boot floppies from, um, I don't remember.  The version is
> > The install fails when I try to install the drivers floppy.  The error
> > is vague: error installing drivers.  There is something printed behind
> > the dialog popup
> >
> >   ...lib/module_h...
> >
> > The ellipsis are mine.  Most of the text is obscured.
>
> Yikes, bad sign.  Can anyone in the group reproduce this?  Once all those
> testers in the US recover from turkey overload, the list should pick up a
> bit.  Since I'm done trying to beat my personal uptime record, I'll give
> it a go when I get back to school and figure out what's wrong with my
> system.
>
> Marc, can you give us an idea of how it failed (did it just say the
> drivers failed?).  Try to make another drivers disk with another floppy
> and write down the exact error message.  Also, give us an idea of your
> hardware configuration.

I cut the diskette twice.  The second time, I formatted just to make
sure.  I'm confident that this was not a diskette failure.  The error
message appears in a popup: "The attempt to extract the Drivers Floppy
failed."

The machine is a Pentium 166MHz with 48MB of memory.  There's an
NCR53x810 disk controlled in the box and a tulip driver net card.  I'm