Re: what's up with xterm?

(scary! :)

    Branden> Of course it is up to the individual system administrator
    Branden> to decide which set of problems he'd like to deal with;
    Branden> that is why Debian has three (non-legacy) terminal types
    Branden> available for xterm: xterm, xterm-xfree86, and
    Branden> xterm-debian.

    Brandon> Thanks Branden.  I relize that there is a lot of good
    Brandon> from having $TERM default to xterm-debian.  I think I'll
    Brandon> add wrappers to my remote login commands to change
    Brandon> xterm-debian to xterm on my next build and leave the
    Brandon> default as is.  However, for the new users, perhaps it
    Brandon> would be good to ask them which sort of problems they
    Brandon> would prefer during the xterm installation.  How
    Brandon> difficult would this be?

I'd like to second this; please prompt the user upon installation of
(xbase? is that what includes the app-defaults for xterm?) that they
*should* choose xterm-debian if the box is just for their own use, but
that if they want to be able to connect to other UNIX boxes without a
lot of hassle, they should select xterm as the default terminal type.

--
Brought to you by the letters G and L and the number 15.
"Hello! We are only joke. It is funny enough." -- Orz, SCII