Aw: Re: Application for approval of the Debian Med Sprint 2015

Hello,

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 08. Juli 2014 um 16:57 Uhr
> Von: "Lucas Nussbaum" <leader@debian.org>
> An: "olivier sallou" <osallou@debian.org>
> Cc: debian-sprints@lists.debian.org, auditor@debian.org
> Betreff: Re: Application for approval of the Debian Med Sprint 2015
>
> Hi Olivier,
>
> On 08/07/14 at 10:40 +0200, olivier sallou wrote:
> > The DebianMed team is planning to hold a Sprint meeting in Saint-Malo,
> > in France from January 30 to Februrary 02 (dates to be confirmed soon
> > with the hotel but will occur at this period).
> >
> > This is the 5th sprint event of the team. More info will come on the
> > wiki page (https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2015/DebianMed2015)
> >
> > Goal of this sprint is to progress on medical/bioinformatics packaging
> > in collaboration with the Bio-Linux community and discuss on
> > biology/bioinformatics problems to tackle in Debian to attract new
> > users to our disctribution.
> >

> > We expect between 15 and 20 person from all over Europe, as per
> > previous sprints. We hope for the sponsoring of 4 ou 5 DDs, with an
> > estimated average cost of 400 Euros each. The DDs will share rooms and
> > pay for their food to keep costs down.
> >
> > Hoping for a positive acceptance from the DPL, this list and our
> > community at large
>
> I must admit that I have second thoughts on this. Sprints are generally
> organized at locations that are cost-effective for Debian, because we
> need to remember that our funds come from donations.
>
> Organizing such a sprint at a touristic location like Saint-Malo does
> not send a message I'm comfortable with. On the other hand, I recognize
> that january/february might not be considered a touristic time, even for
> Saint-Malo.

Indeed. Please allow to help you defend a positive decision more easily.
Living in such a touristy place myself I can look behind the
curtain - it is 8 weeks that there are tourists having their summer
vacation. And then - empty. Bit of weekend activities till October.
And then - with the exception of Xmas and New Year - mostly dead.
Hotels typically close during January/February/March. Prices are low.

Past events had all participants, most are self-funded - about 5 external
participants attend with every person funded, come together at a
family-run hotel - that we then mostly have for ourselves. It is all very
grounded with no distractions. Very personal. Very inviting. Very intense.
Very Debian.

The idea for the "seaside during winter" theme was seeded with the first
event at my then home town. The cost-saving aspect aside, I find that
coastal people are much alike whereever you are, i.e. one recognises many
things from home, ... and I would hence not want to give up on that. Let
others come up with a mountain-top theme or airport theme or big city
theme ... whatever.

I am losing track a bit now. Every year, the one or other complaint about
it all being too cold is filed. So, France was very much embranced.
We got invitations to have it during winter nearby Alessandria, Egypt,
... and nearby Rome, Italy, but mentally I am hoping to persuade my Debian
Med peers more towards visiting the costal sides of larger Bioinformatics
institutes in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Bergen (Norway) and .. yes, indeed,
also Rome, Bari, Crete, Athens or of course Barcelona ... did I mention
that a guest student of mine is leaving for Saint Petersburg, Russia, this month? :)

My personal main concern is that it is all too Euro-centric.
But we cannot all travel to other continents. Instead, I feel we need a way
to have additional such (or some other form of these) Sprints there, too.
I am not sure about the number of DDs we can have living in Africa for a
Debian Med Sprint. But these days, I do not expect almost anywhere in the
world to have a problem to find 20 bioinformaticians interested in discussing
and optimising workflows for e.g. next generation sequencing analysis on
the basis of what Debian provides and on how Debian can be changed to make
it provide more in an easier way. People would come for the science and
leave with Debian as a part of their routine with all the means to have
this routine updated and exchanged between themselves and the scientific
community aroudn the globe. Well, I am not sure about what percentage
of the costs of such an event the Debian society wants to bear when the
meeting happens in a region where there are very few Debian Developers today,
but there should be additional organisations available to help out. @Lucas,
if you want me to start brainstorming for such an event, maybe only as a
pilot, tell me.

Best,

Steffen