Re: Application for approval of the Debian Med Sprint 2015

On 08/07/14 at 17:17 +0200, olivier sallou wrote:

> > Hi Olivier,
> >
> > On 08/07/14 at 10:40 +0200, olivier sallou wrote:
> > > The DebianMed team is planning to hold a Sprint meeting in Saint-Malo,
> > > in France from January 30 to Februrary 02 (dates to be confirmed soon
> > > with the hotel but will occur at this period).
> > >
> > > This is the 5th sprint event of the team. More info will come on the
> > > wiki page (https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2015/DebianMed2015)
> > >
> > > Goal of this sprint is to progress on medical/bioinformatics packaging
> > > in collaboration with the Bio-Linux community and discuss on
> > > biology/bioinformatics problems to tackle in Debian to attract new
> > > users to our disctribution.
> > >

> > > We expect between 15 and 20 person from all over Europe, as per
> > > previous sprints. We hope for the sponsoring of 4 ou 5 DDs, with an
> > > estimated average cost of 400 Euros each. The DDs will share rooms and
> > > pay for their food to keep costs down.
> > >
> > > Hoping for a positive acceptance from the DPL, this list and our
> > > community at large
> >
> > I must admit that I have second thoughts on this. Sprints are generally
> > organized at locations that are cost-effective for Debian, because we
> > need to remember that our funds come from donations.
> >
> > Organizing such a sprint at a touristic location like Saint-Malo does
> > not send a message I'm comfortable with. On the other hand, I recognize
> > that january/february might not be considered a touristic time, even for
> > Saint-Malo.
> >

> I found an hotel in Saint Malo with affordable prices for the bedrooms
> (like previous sprints, mainly with the twin rooms shared by DDs).
> Furthermore, the hotel gives us access to one of the restaurant rooms for
> the sprint duration, so there is no room to rent. I could also get some
> founding/sponsor for the lunches.
>
> January is quite calm, several hotel are closed during this period.
>

> > Did you consider other venues such as IRILL (or maybe IRISA, since they
> > are listed as a supporter of the event)?
> > Would that change the costs significantly?
> >

> An hotel in Rennes won't be cheaper and travel won't change a lot (and can
> even be easier from UK). Saint Malo was a destination chosen at previous
> sprint after discussion between us.

Could you detail how you reached your estimate of 400 EUR per person?

I took estimation from previous sprints that we made in Europe in same condition (regarding hotel and location). This is an average between travel and hotel depending on stay duration.

How is that split between travel and hosting?

Hosting should be between 100 (2 days) and 150 euros (3 days) according to stay duration. The rest is for travel.

I understand that at least one DD won't need to travel?

yes, you're right, myself  :-)  , I can go by car, only hotel expenses are expected for me (100 euros)

Lucas

--
gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438  (keyring.debian.org)
Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335  D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438