Re: sun4u pci Video Card recommendations [openboot not required]?

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 2:13 PM Gregor Riepl <onitake@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> > Given the state of the old video drivers missing or non-functioning
> > in modern Xorg does anyone have any recommendations for PCI Card that
> > should work well enough on the old hardware. In my case that’s an
> > Ultra 5, Openboot support is not a requirement.
> >
> > Currently I have PGX32 but the glint driver is gone, as is the
> > mach64, I might have XVR-100 in storages but I hear the radeonfb is
> > iffy also.
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/xorg-team/driver/xserver-xorg-video-mach64 and
> https://salsa.debian.org/xorg-team/driver/xserver-xorg-video-sunffb are
> still there.
>
> Even though the packages are gone, the drivers may still work.
>
> sunffb needs some changes, which are available in my fork:
> https://salsa.debian.org/onitake-guest/xserver-xorg-video-sunffb
>
> Adrian: Do you know if these packages can introduced back into
> debian-ports in some way? I think we discussed this before, but I don't
> remember what came out of it...
>
> Regards,
> Greg

I would also need those drivers for my Ultra 10 and Blade 100.

@Mike: for now you can use the fbdev driver. You need to manually set
up your Xorg configuration with modelines and stuff.
It will not be fast, but usable for a basic desktop, if you use lxde
or mate with openbox.

Regards,
Connor