Re: Ultra5 successful install - PGX64 issues

On 14/04/18 03:51 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Hi Philip!

On 04/14/2018 09:00 AM, Phillip Stevens wrote:
So as a next step, I'm going to try to get aSparkle GeForce 9500 GT 512MB PCI video card working.

Sounds reasonable. Keep in mind that the nouveau driver *might* have
issues on your big-endian machine. So, in case the nVidia card doesn't
work, you might have more luck with a Radeon device as lots of PowerPC
users are running Radeon cards on Linux.

I am having no issues with nouveau and ppc64 at the moment :

nix$ uname -r ; uname -m ; lsmod | grep nouveau
4.15.0-2-powerpc64
ppc64
nouveau              2164063  1
ttm                   161058  1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper        177786  1 nouveau
drm                   468754  5 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper,sil164
i2c_algo_bit            8412  1 nouveau
nix$

I will have a look at sparc and debian shortly, if the install iso
 images are sorted :-)

Really happy that my old Ultra5 machine still has some relevance.

Glad to hear that most of the stuff works.

I am amazed it works. I think I had a Creator 3D Ultra10 way back in
1997 or so and here we are in 2018 talking about an Ultra 5?  I was
never impressed with the cheap PCI construction of those units but
clearly there are a few out there somewhere still running.

Btw, would you be willing to test GRUB on your Ultra 5? You should
be able to install it with "apt install grub2" and it should set up
everything automatically.

You just gave me a good reason to fire up a sparc server. I will step up
to the plate on that and even grant you low level accesss to the system
if you need, for testing.   However you need a system with a separate
systems processor to really test GRUB and the old Ultra5 ( Ultra 10 )
don't have that tech.  A baseline machine would need ALOM or ILOM tech
inside it and Oracle M-series equipment has fully separate XSCF systems
boards.  These allow the setup of hardware LDOMS and also grant access
to control low level features of the machines.

Seems like a good idea to roll out a sparc machine in my life.

We are in the process of phasing out SILO, so we need to test GRUB
on as many SPARCs as possible to see whether there aren't any
compatibility issues.

Oh dear.

Let me ponder that need.  What is the most recent hardware you have been
 able to test with?  Anything with a Fujitsu and Oracle badge on it?

Dennis