Re: Ultra5 successful install - PGX64 issues

> On Apr 14, 2018, at 6:07 AM, Phillip Stevens <phillip.stevens@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> So as a next step, I'm going to try to get aSparkle GeForce 9500 GT 512MB
>>> PCI video card working.
>
> Well I can't even get recognition that the card is on present the PCI bus.
> So there is a time to give up and do something profitable.
> That is now.
>
>> So, in case the nVidia card doesn't work, you might have more luck
>> with a Radeon device on Linux.
>
> Is there a specific recommendation, or specification, since I'll be on Ebay
> for a solution?  Beyond the obvious:
> - 5V.
> - 33MHz.
> - as recent as possible.

To seen by Openboot it needs to be in the sun approved list. (That is either the FCODE is contained on the add-on card or their is code in the SUNW-packages code installed on the NVRAM).

You best bet is probably a XVR-100 aka Radeon 7000 like this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Sun-XVR-100-PCI-Graphic-Accelerator-375-3181-X3770-ATI-Radeon-7000/311437126814

Something else you might look into is using a PCI ATA Card to speed up your disk access.  I’ve been testing cards as I get my hands on them so far the best one I have is a

Promise Technology Ultra100 TX2 IDE PCI (PDC20267)

Info about using PCI-Cards is here originally.

https://www.netbsd.org/ports/sparc64/faq.html#pci-cards

My little how-to is

Add your PCI ATA Card. Boot the system use "show-devs" to find the card node. Then you want to get the class-code property so

cd /pci@1f,0/pci@1/<DEVICE>
.properties

Look for the class-code a Promise PDC20269 is 00018085 (does not work in Debian 9 for some reason) a Promise PDC20267 is 00018000

nvedit
dev /packages/SUNW,builtin-drivers
: class018000
f 9 my-space + " config-b!" $call-parent class010100
;
device-end

Control-C to end.
nvstore
reset

When it comes back show-dev should have ide@2/disk and ide@2/cdrom instead of the long pic vendor-id@device-id (or whatever IDE slot the card is in, you should then use devalias to map those to an alias like atadisk and atacdrom or something)

-Mike