Re: Debian SPARC on SPARC M7?

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 2:39 AM, Bryce <philip.copeland@oracle.com> wrote:
> {0} ok boot bryce-deb
> SILO Version 1.4.14
> boot:
> Linux                    LinuxOLD
>
> endless looping of
>
> Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ...   lvmetad is not active yet, using
> direct activation during sysinit
>   Volume group "bryce-deb-vg" not found
>   Cannot process volume group bryce-deb-vg
> done.
> ALERT!  /dev/mapper/bryce--deb--vg-root does not exist.  Dropping to a
> shell!
> Gave up waiting for root device.  Common problems:
>  - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
>    - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
>    - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
>  - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
>

> at a guess I thik this is because the system is running in an ldm and hasn;t
> caught on that it needs to load the sunvdc sunvnet modules
> that'll be a udev item

you're right here, it's modules problem, they are not being present in
initramfs, so to fix it, boot from cdrom again into rescue mode and
add this 2 modules to:

root@deb4g:/tmp# grep -v ^# /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
sunvdc
sunvnet

and update kernel initrd from rescue shell with
# update-initramfs -u

exit rescue shell and reboot, it should boot ok now... (but there
would be no telnet console present on boot, since it needs to be
enabled, before reboot from rescue shell with :

root@debian:/# cd /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants#
root@debian:/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants# ln -sf
/lib/systemd/system/console-getty.service console-getty.service

or if you know IP address of installed debian, login via ssh and
enable with systemctl :

# systemctl enable console-getty