Re: Debian/SPARC[64]

On 01/12/15 01:32 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
On 12/01/15 08:32, Karel Gardas wrote:

On 01/12/15 01:19 AM, Bob Bib wrote:
(BTW, we can also ask Gentoo about the current state of its SPARC
support).

That's indeed a good remark.

Karel:
FYI: the issue is that Solaris switched to Sun's asm which does have
different syntax than GNU asm. So to preserve compatibility with GNU or
not to preserve that is the question. :-)

Are the differences so hard?
Maybe the GNU assembler already has the support for Sun syntax?
Then it looks more like a GNU Binutils issue:
http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/

Differences are not so big but before putting this compatibility in
someone always need to ask if this is not done for completely dead
horse. Looks like it's not. :-)

Hi Karel,

I've been spending time working on the SPARC64 emulation on QEMU and can
confirm that the latest QEMU 2.2 release is good enough boot, install
and run all of Debian squeeze/wheezy, NetBSD and OpenBSD in -nographic
mode. Work on Solaris is currently a slow on-going task, although
support could be completed sooner if interested parties wanted to
sponsor such work.

Now I've had a couple of personal reports of QEMU users experiencing
hard lockups during periods of high I/O under Debian wheezy similar to
the thread at
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.ports.sparc/16093 (QEMU
emulation is an approximation of the Ultra 5 machine) which makes me
believe that this could be a kernel bug.

Hi Mark,

it's great that you mention this. Indeed, for Solaris 11 I'm using T2000, for sparc/sparc64-linux (Debian 7.x) I've decided to give a try to Qemu 2.2 SPARC64 emulation. First time I've not been lucky with network (ne2k-pci not working) but later after some googling I've found that virtio is working. Now, when I've run some GHC/cabal tasks I indeed observed some lockups but I've thought his is Qemu issue and not kernel issue that time. Anyway, it looks like Linux is really not well supported on SPARC anymore. Where are those times when Jakub Jelinek done his first UltraLinux in 90s.... Anyway, if I observe anything suspicious I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Karel