Re: Sun Fire V210 NIC's don't work

On 11/20/2012 06:54 PM, Richard Mortimer wrote:

On 19/11/2012 22:36, Kaya Saman wrote:
So Richard, what's your opinion on when this might get fixed or a
workaround found?
Crystal ball time :-)

I like crystal balls!! Do you read palms too?? :-)

I suspect that this can be worked around quite quickly. From a quick look at the tg3 driver source code I don't think that the BAR 2 registers are actually used on the model present in that version.

As a quick and dirty hack it might just be as simple as removing the BAR 2 entry from the assigned-addresses property. My Openboot/forth-foo is a little rusty but I'll see if I can find some time to work out a quick hack to try that.

If that works then I'd suspect that the correct way to handle this is to workaround the issue would be somewhere in the sparc platform setup code in the kernel.

Thanks, if you have time! I don't mind waiting a bit for a fix, as long as it'll save me the work of having to rebuild everything while my systems already setup.

Basically I'm a bit in limbo now as the machine is built to the spec I
need bar the NICs.

Should I switch OS for now or do you think I should persist in debugging
until a solution is reached?
I rather suspect that the only way this will get fixed is if someone with the "broken" setup is willing to test.

I'm around :-)

If we can try a couple of the simple/hacky tests just to confirm my hypothesis that would be good. I'll try to find time to do that later tonight.

Thanks again I really appreciate this!

Regards

Richard

Regards,