Re: Sun Fire V210 NIC's don't work

On 11/14/2012 05:52 PM, Frans van Berckel wrote:
On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 17:14 +0000, Kaya Saman wrote:
For a subnet which is /30 CIDR or 255.255.255.252 you should get 4 IP's:
network, broadcast, + 2 usable - this is a kind of pseudo point-to-point
interface.
<snip>

A-ha, that sounds as a clear case.

All reloaded, sorry for the confusion but I rearranged things to test
and see if eth1 became primary. Again no link :-( I will also try with
eth2 and eth3 but I have my doubts; I even changed the cable and no joy.
Something is definitely hinky!
<snip>

I am almost sure there's no problem with eth1. Check with ifconfig, the
ip config is set okay now. Did you test already  pinging ping
192.168.140.2 from ping 192.168.140.1?

I can't ping anywhere from the eth1 interface :-(

In addition I tried eth2 as the server has 4 NICs... it doesn't even get recognized by the system??

I'm sure it's the driver or kernel bug.... though I could be wrong.
Convince me?

I stuck my laptop into the same port using the same cable and hey-presto I got an IP address via DHCP.

If I set Debian to do the same I get nothing, and static also doesn't work meaning the network fabric is fully functional however, something is wrong with the NIC - either physically or a driver.

I could try it using port eth0 and I'm sure it will work fine as it's up and running on a different subnet now.

Hmm..... I'm at a loss :-(

Thanks,

Frans van Berckel

Thanks for the support!!!!