Re: Sun Fire V210 NIC's don't work

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 00:13 +0000, Kaya Saman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I attempted to configure a second nic on my server and added the new
> config to the /etc/network/interfaces file however I am left with dmesg
> errors:

> <snip>
[   91.472697] tg3 0003:00:02.0: eth1: Failed to load firmware
"tigon/tg3_tso.bin"

> The switch which the port is connected to shows physical link and is
> provisioned properly for the correct vlan, the first NIC eth0 is also
> connected to the same switch and is working fine but still producing errors:

> <snip>
[   81.804867] tg3 0000:00:02.0: eth0: Failed to load firmware
"tigon/tg3_tso.bin"

> I have tried loading the firmware from:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Firmware
>
> and putting it into /lib/firmware/tigon however then both NICs fail??
>
> Could anyone suggest anything? With any other OS the system is fine so
> I'm guessing it's a kernel bug or so.....

Quick overview: What kernel version are you running? Is update-initramfs
complaining about the missing firmware as well? From where did you
download the firmware. What tg3_tso firmware version did you? Are you
saving as root? How does ls -l /lib/firmware/tigon looks like now? What
does ifconfig list.

Thanks,

Frans van Berckel