Re: Jump start server for installing Debian on headless system with no CDROM

On 09/15/2012 02:27 PM, Jurij Smakov wrote:
On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 02:20:28PM +0100, Kaya Saman wrote:
On 09/15/2012 01:23 PM, Jurij Smakov wrote:[...]

tftp and rarpd is enough. Add a mapping of the MAC address of your
sparc box to some unused IP address on your network to /etc/ethers,
something like

00:03:ba:16:e4:57 192.168.1.13

then restart rarpd. You also need to make the netboot image available
over tftp, sparc64 is the raw kernel image which will not do anything
useful if netbooted. The correct one for squeeze is at

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-sparc/current/images/netboot/boot.img

Simply symlink C0A88CE6 to it in your tftp directory and run 'boot
net' on the corresponding sparc box and you should be good to go. For
netbooting you don't need iso, as netboot image contains a standalone
installer which will download needed stuff off Debian mirrors.

Best regards,
Thanks for the response!

Debian installer is now booted and working  :-)

Slight issue though:

     lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqu [!] Detect network hardware
tqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
x x
     x Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware files to
operate. The  x
     x firmware can be loaded from removable media, such as a USB
stick or  x
     x floppy. x
x x
     x The missing firmware files are: tigon/tg3_tso.bin
x x
     x If you have such media available now, insert it, and continue.
x x
     x Load missing firmware from removable media?
x x
     x <Yes> <No>     x
x x
mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj

Debian doesn't seem to have the NIC drivers?

Where can I get them and what's the best way to load them in?

Thought pressing "No" it came up with Broadcom NICs.... which are
now configuring?
Yeah, it's a known issue, same happens on T1000 server, for example
(http://bugs.debian.org/687454). tg3 driver indicates that it needs
the firmware, but if you decline to load it, it continues to work
fine. We probably just need to mention it in the installation manual.

Best regards,

Aaah cool.

Yeah, the system is working quite well now! Still installing but seems to be using the broadcom drivers just fine.

Thanks for all the help..... now I just gota get used to apt-get'ing rather then YUM'ing as haven't used Debian for a bit though it taught me Linux initially :-)

Regards,

Kaya