Re: Jump start server for installing Debian on headless system with no CDROM

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 12:50:13PM +0100, Kaya Saman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently bought a couple of Sun Fire V210's and want to use
> Debian on one of them.
>
> Since I'm quite accustomed to running the net installer on x86 boxes
> I decided to download the latest netinstall.iso for SPARC platform.
>

> So far I converted the IP of the server to HEX and sym-linked it
> with the sparc64 file.
>
> From here on I am operating blind as I am not sure how to setup the
> file system and which protocol to use?
>
> I saw a link on booting Solaris from a Linux server and decided to
> follow that. Currently have mounted the deb net install ISO here:
>
> # ls /data/jumpstart/debian
> boot    dists    md5sum.txt  README.html          README.source
> css     doc      pics        README.mirrors.html  README.txt
> debian  install  pool        README.mirrors.txt
>
> /tftpboot looks like this:
>
> # ls -l
> total 5156
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root      14 Jan 13  2012 C0A88CDC -> inetboot.sun4u
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root      14 Jan 14  2012 C0A88CDC.sun4u ->
> inetboot.sun4u
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root       7 Sep 14 16:12 C0A88CE6 -> sparc64
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root  221584 Sep 13 15:00 inetboot.sun4u
> -r--r--r--. 1 root root 5051848 Sep 14 16:12 sparc64
>

> I've managed to find some information on Google:
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/ch04s03.html.en
>
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-sparc/current/images/netboot/
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/ch05s03.html.en
>

> However, what they don't show me is where to go from here?
>

> Would I need to mount the cdrom under the /tftpboot portion of the
> server then 'net boot' the system or would I need to use another
> protocol or the .img file I found on  one of the links?
>

> I've managed to jumpstart install Solaris 10 using a Sol10 based
> jumpstart server but I really want this particular box in question
> to be an application server which is why I would like Debian on it!
>
> Can anyone help?
>

> Just incase TFTP and RARPD isn't enough and I need to use BOOTP or
> so I use a Cisco DHCP server in an 1801W router.....

tftp and rarpd is enough. Add a mapping of the MAC address of your
sparc box to some unused IP address on your network to /etc/ethers,
something like

00:03:ba:16:e4:57 192.168.1.13

then restart rarpd. You also need to make the netboot image available
over tftp, sparc64 is the raw kernel image which will not do anything
useful if netbooted. The correct one for squeeze is at

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-sparc/current/images/netboot/boot.img

Simply symlink C0A88CE6 to it in your tftp directory and run 'boot
net' on the corresponding sparc box and you should be good to go. For
netbooting you don't need iso, as netboot image contains a standalone
installer which will download needed stuff off Debian mirrors.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC