Re: gdb problem (was: Wheezy: iceweasel crashes)

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 12:07:28AM +0200, Hartwig Atrops wrote:
> Hi.
>
> > > iceweasel starts, but has problems with several sites:
> > >
> > > crashing on:
> > > 	www.spiegel.de
> > > 	www.linux-magazin.de
> > > 	www.arte.tv
> > > 	(and some more)
> >
> > Are you getting any error messages? I would expect "bus error" or
> > something. You might see evidence of it in dmesg as well.
> >
> > If you get "bus error", then it's most likely yet another case of
> > unaligned memory accesses in the code somewhere. The simplest way to
> > get some useful stack trace out of it is to follow these steps:
> >
> > 1. Install iceweasel debugging symbols (iceweasel-dbg package).
> > 2. Enable core dumping with 'ulimit -c unlimited'.
> > 3. Start iceweasel, navigate to one of the crashing pages, it should
> >    dump a core file.
> > 4. Use gdb to obtain an annotated backtrace, something like
> >
> > gdb /usr/lib/iceweasel/firefox-bin core
> > (gdb) bt
>
> Hmm ...
>
> I tried as described, but I have trouble with the debug session: gdb starts,
> but I don't get the gdb prompt (gdb seems to hang, 100 % CPU usage).
>
> To check the setup I wrote a small C program that causes a segmentation fault
> (caused by a wrong pointer). With this core dump I get the prompt.
>
> So I tried with ddd - same problem.
>
> I'm not familiar with gdb and cores. What to do next?

Wait longer after you start gdb :-).

The debugging symbols are huge, so it can take quite a while for gdb
to load them, especially on a slow machine.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC