Re: Wheezy: iceweasel crashes

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 10:18:03PM +0200, Hartwig Atrops wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Today I run a quite basic Wheezy test install on my Sun Ultra 60.
>
> Tasksel selection: only standard system + ssh server
>
> + apt-get install:
> 	xorg
> 	xfce4
> 	xfce4-terminal
> 	iceweasel
> 	(+apt-file)
>
> xfce is working so far (xfce4-terminal ok, xterm nok: black window)
>
> iceweasel starts, but has problems with several sites:
>
> crashing on:
> 	www.spiegel.de
> 	www.linux-magazin.de
> 	www.arte.tv
> 	(and some more)

Are you getting any error messages? I would expect "bus error" or
something. You might see evidence of it in dmesg as well.

If you get "bus error", then it's most likely yet another case of
unaligned memory accesses in the code somewhere. The simplest way to
get some useful stack trace out of it is to follow these steps:

1. Install iceweasel debugging symbols (iceweasel-dbg package).
2. Enable core dumping with 'ulimit -c unlimited'.
3. Start iceweasel, navigate to one of the crashing pages, it should
   dump a core file.
4. Use gdb to obtain an annotated backtrace, something like

gdb /usr/lib/iceweasel/firefox-bin core
(gdb) bt

Once this is done, file a bug against iceweasel, including the entire
stack trace.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org