gdb problem (was: Wheezy: iceweasel crashes)

Hi.

> > iceweasel starts, but has problems with several sites:
> >
> > crashing on:
> > 	www.spiegel.de
> > 	www.linux-magazin.de
> > 	www.arte.tv
> > 	(and some more)
>
> Are you getting any error messages? I would expect "bus error" or
> something. You might see evidence of it in dmesg as well.
>
> If you get "bus error", then it's most likely yet another case of
> unaligned memory accesses in the code somewhere. The simplest way to
> get some useful stack trace out of it is to follow these steps:
>
> 1. Install iceweasel debugging symbols (iceweasel-dbg package).
> 2. Enable core dumping with 'ulimit -c unlimited'.
> 3. Start iceweasel, navigate to one of the crashing pages, it should
>    dump a core file.
> 4. Use gdb to obtain an annotated backtrace, something like
>
> gdb /usr/lib/iceweasel/firefox-bin core
> (gdb) bt

Hmm ...

I tried as described, but I have trouble with the debug session: gdb starts,
but I don't get the gdb prompt (gdb seems to hang, 100 % CPU usage).

To check the setup I wrote a small C program that causes a segmentation fault
(caused by a wrong pointer). With this core dump I get the prompt.

So I tried with ddd - same problem.

I'm not familiar with gdb and cores. What to do next?

Regards,

   Hartwig