Re: Help Installing Lenny 5.0.0 on Ultra 5

On 2011-03-14, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Howard Eisenberger wrote:

>>> A very good question which I've not seen answered authoritatively.

>> I'm no authority, but I have been successfully running this combination
>> on my Ultra 5 for some time:
>>
>> X.Org X Server 1.7.7
>> Release Date: 2010-05-04
>> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
>> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.32-bpo.5-sparc64-smp sparc Debian
>> Current Operating System: Linux ultra5.localdomain 2.6.32-5-sparc64 #1 Thu
>> Aug 12 15:23:02 UTC 2010 sparc64
>> Kernel command line: root=UUID=681641d3-5316-4b76-aa30-284b541d47d0 ro
>> Build Date: 15 July 2010  04:58:18PM
>> xorg-server 2:1.7.7-3 (Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>)
>>

>> Also, as I reported here last week:
>> Subject: Re: Daily image builds restored
>>
>> "Installed wheezy using businesscard.iso today (7 Mar.) to Ultra 10
>> with IDE Cd-Rom and hard drive, then upgraded to kernel 2.6.37
>> without problem."
>>
>> I haven't installed X yet, but I'll try it and report back.
>
> Thanks for that Howard, we await your results with bated breath.

>From a standard installation "apt-get install xorg openbox menu"
seems to work for me.

ultra10:~$ Xorg -version

X.Org X Server 1.7.7
Release Date: 2010-05-04
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.32-bpo.5-sparc64-smp sparc Debian
Current Operating System: Linux ultra10 2.6.37-2-sparc64 #1 Sun Feb 27
11:28:28 UTC 2011 sparc64
Kernel command line: root=/dev/sdb2 ro
Build Date: 12 January 2011  03:48:22AM
xorg-server 2:1.7.7-11 (Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>)
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4

> I do find that editing xorg.conf to use the dummy driver and then
> setting up VNC generally works, except that my results with KDE4 have
> been mixed since it makes far more use of subtle colours.

Without an xorg.conf I only get 800x600. With monitor specs and
DefaultDepth 16 in xorg.conf on the Ultra 10, I get much better
resolution. On my Ultra 5 I have the monitor specs, but the
DefaultDepth is commented out. I see that the ATI on my Ultra 5
has 4MB video ram, but only 2MB on my Ultra 10.

[I have been using the Ultra 10 as a 24/7 Internet server for
a number of years. I have just taken it offline and can now use
it as a test box.]

Regards,

Howard E.