Re: Help Installing Lenny 5.0.0 on Ultra 5

Collin Baillie wrote:
Hi all,

I have been running Debian lenny 5.0.0 on my Ultra 5 for a while, but I installed with the xfce disk, and it seems I only installed the base system. There's almost nothing on my Ultra 5.

I figured I'd get the iso images of 5.0.0 full again and do a complete install. I'm using 5.0.0 to avoid the kernel/xorg problem. The installer uses 2.6.26-1.

During install I reach the 'configuring apt' stage and scan all 3 install disks. After scanning, it continues on to configure a network mirror, which I select 'No' (have tried 'Yes' also) to not use a mirror.

'Configuring apt' completes and the install goes on to 'Select and install software' and hangs there at 1%.

There was some hitting of http:// links (even though I said no network mirror) preceding this output. Can I assume that because 6.0.0 is now released, the installer is failing to get the GPG key from the debian servers and thus this error is now produced?

Can I work around this somehow?

This reminds me of a problem at 3.0 (Woody) where it would try to upgrade packages which were used during setup even if it did not intend to do a full latest-package installation. I think I used to get around that by pulling the LAN until installation had completed.

I also retrieved 6.0.0 sparc. Is the xorg problem fixed in this release.

A very good question which I've not seen answered authoritatively.

I see that the cmd64x module isn't included, so I guess install will fail anyhow. Or has this been fixed also? Basically, should I drop 5.0.0 and go for 6.0.0 on my Ultra 5? Is there a documented process to install a newer 5.0.x release with a working Xorg?

Another good question.

Quite frankly my preferred combination remains 4.0 (Etch) with a kernel upgrade. Not only does that avoid the Xorg problem but it saves getting messed up with KDE4, which to be honest is a long way short of usable.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk