Re: Help Installing Lenny 5.0.0 on Ultra 5

Howard Eisenberger wrote:
On 2011-03-14, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

Collin Baillie wrote:

I also retrieved 6.0.0 sparc. Is the xorg problem fixed in this release.
A very good question which I've not seen answered authoritatively.

I see that the cmd64x module isn't included, so I guess install will fail anyhow. Or has this been fixed also? Basically, should I drop 5.0.0 and go for 6.0.0 on my Ultra 5? Is there a documented process to install a newer 5.0.x release with a working Xorg?

I'm no authority, but I have been successfully running this combination
on my Ultra 5 for some time:

X.Org X Server 1.7.7
Release Date: 2010-05-04
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.32-bpo.5-sparc64-smp sparc Debian
Current Operating System: Linux ultra5.localdomain 2.6.32-5-sparc64 #1 Thu
Aug 12 15:23:02 UTC 2010 sparc64
Kernel command line: root=UUID=681641d3-5316-4b76-aa30-284b541d47d0 ro
Build Date: 15 July 2010  04:58:18PM
xorg-server 2:1.7.7-3 (Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org>)

Also, as I reported here last week:
Subject: Re: Daily image builds restored

"Installed wheezy using businesscard.iso today (7 Mar.) to Ultra 10
with IDE Cd-Rom and hard drive, then upgraded to kernel 2.6.37
without problem."

I haven't installed X yet, but I'll try it and report back.

Thanks for that Howard, we await your results with bated breath.

I do find that editing xorg.conf to use the dummy driver and then setting up VNC generally works, except that my results with KDE4 have been mixed since it makes far more use of subtle colours.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk