Re: Problems with interfaces on Sun Ultra 5

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 11:19:09PM -0500, Ross Halliday scribbled thusly:
> What kind of NIC are you using as eth1? If this is a Sun HME I believe
> they always clone the base system MAC as tested on an Ultra 10 with two
> SunSwift cards (FastEthernet/UltraSCSI combo). I ran into similar issues
> on a Sun E440R with the onboard NIC and a 4-port QFE card. The names
> just became ridiculous like "eth1_rename_rename_ren". Oddly enough I
> recall that dmesg showed them all being named in a sane manner at first,
> and later on the names were changed. I have two Ultra5s at home with the
> onboard HME and 3Com 3c905s that do not have this problem.

I found this interesting, because I have an Ultra10 at home with
3 HME interfaces and one 3c905, but never had any of these
issues. Just now I took a look to see if I had done anything
clever with udev, but it turns out I don't have udev installed on
that box. I would probably be inclined to rm
/lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and file a bug against
udev since having one mac address per machine is pretty
reasonable. They might just add a special case based on the
driver. Then again, I may be a bit biased since I've only had bad
experiences with *persistent-net*.rules...

> For some reason udev has a lot of problems when multiple NICs have the
> same MAC. I believe I was able to fix this with some fancy rules. Where
> you can start is by looking at 'lspci' to determine what the bus IDs are
> of the NICs and writing udev rules based on those instead.

That seems a bit more reasonable. I guess I never saw what the
point was of renaming the interface when you swap out an ethernet
card. But guaranteeing the same interface names across kernel upgrades
and other configuration changes would be nice.

Ivan