Re: Lenny boot hangs on Sun Ultra 5

On 2010-02-01, Vladimir R wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 15:22:58 +0300 Gavin Duley wrote:
>>I've had some trouble getting Xorg to work on my Ultra 5 under Debian in the past,
>>but I have managed to get it to work.
>>I've found what version of the kernel you have matters. I am running 2.6.22-3-sparc64.
>>I've found newer versions (such as 2.6.26) will not work with Xorg.
>>I'm not certain if it makes much difference, but I'm also running a slightly older
>>version of Xorg - 1:7.3+19, I think (I'm running testing but haven't been using
>>this machine much lately, hence it's quite behind on updates).
>>If it's of any help, I've put my xorg.conf file on the web at:
>>http://www.gavinduley.org/interests/computing/xorgconf.html
>>Hope this helps.
>>
>>gavin,
>
> Thank You very much, I will take your experience into my mind.
> I dont think I'm going to downgrade kernel for the sake of desktop,
> because I will use system mostly as server.
> But when this problem will be fixed in new kernel,
> I will try to launch desktop session again, and your config
> will be good help for me.

You are probably better off going forward. I could not get X to
work with kernel 2.6.26, but has been working fine with the
following configuration and a generic xorg.conf on my ultra 5.

$ Xorg -version

X.Org X Server 1.6.1.901 (1.6.2 RC 1)
Release Date: 2009-5-8
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.27.2-dsa-usii sparc Debian
Current Operating System: Linux ultra5 2.6.30-1-sparc64 #1 Wed Jul 8
01:18:17 UTC 2009 sparc
Build Date: 14 May 2009  04:50:27PM
xorg-server 2:1.6.1.901-2 (buildd@spontini)

The only problem I have with kernel 2.6.30 is with any CD-ROM
device, but that's another story.

Regards,

Howard E.