Re: Lenny boot hangs on Sun Ultra 5

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 02:44:55PM +0300, Vladimir R wrote:

> Hello all,
> I did install on my Sun Ultra 5 Debian Lenny, using installation image from
>  http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.3/sparc/iso-cd/debian-503-sparc-CD-1.iso
> Installation finished OK, but when I tried to boot new linux, the system hangs
> trying launch desktop. I have black screen with cursor in left upper coner.
> Attempts to launch virtual tervinals failed.
> System responds to ping, but any tcp connects (telnet, ssh, http) refused.
> I seen the same problem in this mail list, but it was not answered.
> So I want to ask some questions.
> 1. Is there solution or workaround for this problem?
> 2. Can I boot lenny in single user mode?
> 3. Can I boot lenny without running desktop?
> 4. Can I by some means disable launching desktop?

The easiest is probably to not select the 'Desktop system' at the
package selection screen during installation. If you only select
'Standard system' and uncheck everything else, it should not install
the graphical environment.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org