Re: Boot failure with recent installer builds

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 05:13:31PM +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tested the recent Debian installer build on my SunBlade 1000 and,
> even though the installation completes normally, the machine refuses
> to boot after that, cannot even get to SILO prompt. I've filed an
> installation report about that (http://bugs.debian.org/565639), but I
> thought that it would be nice if someone else sees this. If you have a
> sparc box and a couple of hours, and not afraid to lose all your data,
> please test the installer by downloading a recent image from
>
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer
>
> (I used the netinst CD image), trying it out and filing an
> installation report. Template can be found at
>
> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s04.html#submit-bug
>
> I'm particularly interested in reports of the system not booting after
> the installation. Lenny CD image works for me, so it can be used to
> restore your system to working order

Failure to boot was caused by machine type misdetection, caused by the
changes in uname -m output on sparc. It should be fixed in kernels
2.6.32.2 and newer, for now the workaround is to chroot into the newly
installed system at the end of the installation and run 'silo -u -f'
to force the machine type to ultrasparc.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC